Saturday, April 19, 2014

Food Review: Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul, Sunway Pyramid

Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul (cendol) recently opened an outlet in Sunway Pyramid! They are located at LG2.90, in the Marrakesh alley.

The shop has a limited variety of food, but was enough to satisfy my cravings for good Penang Cendol (with or without durian!) as well as Penang Asam Laksa. They also sell Penang White Curry Mee, Fruit Rojak, White Coffee Cendol, Fried Glutinous Cake (apparently a famous Teochew snack, but unbeknownst to my Foo Chow roots), as well as Cendol, White Coffee, and Ice Kacang ice blends.



So I ordered the Penang Asam Laksa for RM 7.90. Please forgive my non-rotated picture. The taste was really rich and the broth was slightly sweet in taste. There were decent amounts of noodles as well as fish in the dish. However, if you are a big eater, then the portion will be rather small for you. Of course the taste can't be compared with the original Penang Asam Laksa in Penang, but evaluating it on it's own, it was pretty well done considering it's a franchise, and I would actually come back for the laksa again.

As I was craving for durian on that day, I also decided to be adventurous and try the durian cendol. No offense to durian lovers, I do enjoy durian, but I thought the durian cendol was a tad bit expensive at a price of RM7.90 as well.


Left picture before mixing them up and the right picture after mixing them up.

I wasn't disappointed! This was really good, and the durian taste was rather strong, with a hint of gula malacca. I also managed to try the original cendol from my friend, and the gula malacca was stronger for the original one (and sweeter as well). The original one also has kidney beans, unlike the durian cendol. A rather good fix for durian cendol cravings I would say.

For more information on the store, you may visit their official website at: http://www.chendul.my/index.html

Update (August 2014):

I was in Paradigm Mall the other day, and had a craving for Asam Laksa, so I decided to drop by the Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul Outlet at Paradigm Mall. Though I have friends who have been there and gave their share of negative comments, I wanted to know exactly how bad it was, so I decided to give them a shot anyway.

I went there around lunch hour, but was quite happy to find an empty table. Seeing so many customers there actually gave me some "hope" that perhaps the outlet is not "that bad" after all. I have to say that they have really friendly waiters which is something commendable. However, the standard of the food was not anywhere near the one I ate in the Pyramid outlet. It was really bland. I ordered the Asam Laksa and it was really watered down. There was also hardly any visible fish pieces. The Chendul was also not as rich as the one in Pyramid, and the Gula Melaka taste was mild and not as fragrant. I also ordered the Fruit Rojak, and that was the only saving grace. It was good, and the sauce was really thick and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment