Thursday, May 8, 2014

Food Review: X-Frens Cafe (KU) and Restaurant

X-Frens Cafe's Kemuning Utama branch recently opened near my house, and it is currently my family's favourite outlet to go to for dinner because of its reasonably good cooking and relatively generous portions. For those who do not know where X-Frens is located at, it is opposite Giant Kemuning Utama, a.k.a the row of shoplots there. This post is a collection from the few trips that we made there =).

Wok Fried Egg Plant (Brinjal), RM 10 (small)

To be truly honest, since I ate this quite some time back, I can't really clearly remember how it tastes. I just remember it being a tad bit saltier than my liking. The texture of the brinjal was nice though: slightly crispy on the outside and soft inside. As can be seen, it came coated with fried garlic. I'm a huge brinjal lover, but this was just mediocre to me. Nothing to shout about. One thing I liked about it is that it was significantly less oily as compared to the normal brinjal dishes you will find in the Yong Tau Foo shops or even economy rice / mixed rice shops.

Pork Ribs with Salted Egg, RM 12 (small)

Their salted egg style is relatively different from what you would expect from most stalls. Unlike most shops, this was not the creamy salted egg version. The pork was deep fried, and then coated with salted egg. The texture of the salted egg was dry and powder-like (I guess it was intentionally made that way), similar to chicken floss, but this is the salted egg version. The black colour specs are seaweed cut into very thin strips, if I remember correctly. Again, nothing to shout about. I personally prefer the creamy ones =).

Beancurd with Pumpkin Gravy, RM 12 (small)

This is my all-time favourite dish! But then again, I might be biased cause I'm a huge fan of toufu. The sauce was just right for my liking: a very mild pumpkin taste so it doesn't overpower the taste of the toufu. I think the sauce has some butter added to it as well as it was rather creamy, and had a slight buttery taste (I'm just guessing. I'm no chef). The toufu is also different from the normal japanese toufu; this seemed to have fish paste added to it. Overall, it was a nice dish, and I would order this dish again without doubt.

Nyonya Steam Fish, RM3.50/ 100g for Red Tilapia

Sorry for the lousy picture. I guess it's obvious now that I'm no chef and no photographer as well. Hahahaha. Anyway, this was quite good. The sauce was sour, sweet, and spicy enough for me. All the flavours blended well together and created a really balanced and tangy taste. P/S: the sauce was really good with rice!

Sizzling Beancurd, RM 12 (small)

The sizzling beancurd was cooked using the normal egg toufu (unlike the pumpkin toufu whereby it is added with fish paste). This, similar to some of the dishes I mentioned above, was just mediocre. Nothing to shout about, and I've eaten better at other places, but no harm trying it if you want to.

Marmite Pork, RM 12 (small)

This was normal, similar to most marmite pork dishes you can find out there. The texture of the pork is slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. If I did not mistaken, the pork was slightly coated with curry powder and flour, and then quickly deep fried, before finally being coated with marmite. Worth a try =).

Stir Fried Baby French Bean with Salted Fish, RM 15 (medium)

Yes, finally you spot some greeneries! Hahahaha. This was pretty good. The salted fish taste was prominent and significant enough; there were also generous amounts of garlic [and vege...] (p.s: the garlic was nice!).

Squids with Creamy Butter Sauce, RM 15 (small)

I liked this a lot too! The amount of butter was just nice: not too little that you can't even taste the butter, and not too much until it makes you feel full after consuming too much of it. Worth a try as well!

Some other things you might want to know: white rice cost RM 1.50 per serving; chinese tea is priced at RM 0.60.

The shop also sells chicken rice and some other varieties of food during lunch, but I've never tried them before.

P/S: they also have herbal clam soup with chinese wine which is worth a mention! Worth the try if you like herbal/ wine based soup. Somehow I can't find the picture though...

No comments:

Post a Comment