Thursday, May 8, 2014

Food Review: Dubu-Dubu Urban Korean Food, Sunway Pyramid

So in conjunction with Mother's Day, we decided to treat my mum to a meal at Dubu-Dubu, Sunway Pyramid. I've previously been here with a friend, and I personally liked the food, so I decided to make another visit. Dubu-Dubu is located in the Marrakesh, lower ground 2.

I used to buy gifts and all for my mum when I was younger (I'm still not that old =P). But I guess she has everything she needs, and me buying her more stuff is really a waste, if you put it crudely. How many perfumes can one use? How many bags can one carry at one time? Shoes? You just need one pair that's really comfortable. Flowers?... I guess I sorta grew out of it as I got older and realise that money is difficult to earn. Oh well. Hey, I still love my mum, okay!

I digress. Back on topic, I've never been to Korea, so I don't know how 'authentic' Korean food is supposed to taste. Hence, my views are solely based on my Malaysian taste buds.

Beef Honey Garlic Bulgogi (chicken is also available) (set), RM 20.90.

The portions were rather generous. The dish came with a generous amount of meat and onions cooked in  honey garlic sauce which was pretty similar to the ones that Pepper Lunch provides. The side dishes were not really worth a mention. Only the kimchi was good. The other two were just normal. The sides dishes comes at RM2 with the (miso, I think) soup [ala carte is RM18.90]. So, if you wanna save RM2 (I know it's not that much), please, by all means, just give the side dishes and soup a skip. You're not missing anything.

Seafood Soondubu Jigae, RM 18.90 (set).

The Seafood Soodubu Jigae set comes without the soup cause it's already soup-based. Why have two soups, right? This was a little spicy, and the taste was just like those typical Korean spicy soup... While it's a good dish to try out, nothing to shout about again =).

Beef Dol Sot Bibimbap, RM 19.90 (set).

This came with the sauce (no idea what is it but taste like the sauce that you put into the kimchi) and raw vegetables like carrots and beansprouts (tauge). I'm personally not a fan of this. I think it's because of the raw vegetables. I'm not sure if other bibimbaps are like this because I've not eaten other bibimbaps before, but for someone like me who doesn't really fancy raw food (vegetables included, unless it's salads), I will not order this again. If, however, you are a fan of bibimbaps, then I guess it should be okay for you.

Chicken Dak Galbi, RM 18.90 (set).

This was my favourite among all the dishes! The chicken is cooked together with cabbage and broccoli, and comes with a few pieces of the fresh Korean rice cake! =D. Teehee. I don't know how to describe the taste, but it's pleasant. It tasted a little bit like our Chinese soy bean paste/ taucu, but nicer than that. A quick search on Google led me to Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia, Dak Galbi is cooked with chilli pepper paste... And I was right! The chilli pepper paste is usually added with soy bean paste. Hehe. It's very, very mildly spicy, if any at all.


Roasted Barley Tea (cold), RM 3.50 (refillable).

This is similar to the burnt rice tea, but the 'burnt' taste is less prominent as compared to the burnt rice tea. So, if you don't really fancy the burnt rice tea, this is a lot milder.

Also, you might wanna note that Dubu-Dubu is offering 10% discount for Sunway Group/ Sunway Education Group staff =). The discount is not applicable on weekends and public holidays though >_<.

Update (8th September 2014):

Dubu-Dubu is currently having Lunch Promotion whereby you can order certain food for RM12.90 (RM 14.95 after tax and service charge) which are normally priced higher in the ala-carte menu from 10.00am to 3.00pm. More the details in the attached photo below.

Picture credits: directly from Dubu-dubu's official website (http://www.dubudubu.com.my/hightlight02.asp)

I took the Spicy Seafood Ramyeon. The set meal also comes with 3 varieties of side dishes/ banchan.


I really liked the taste of this dish. I'm not very good in being descriptive, but if you are someone who can eat spicy food, this is really a noteworthy dish to try out. The taste of the soup is really pleasant... I'm sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. It comes with two large prawns (the size whereby you eat at Chinese Wedding Dinners), and a few pieces of lala as well, which can't exactly be seen in the shot I took... as well as all the items you can see in the picture above. One thing though, was that in Dubu-dubu's official picture, the dish had crabsticks/ filament sticks. Mine came without though. However, two of my friends who ordered the same dish had filament sticks in their dish.

As you would have noticed, Dubu-Dubu has also changed their selection of cold dishes. In my opinion, I liked this selection a lot more. The kimchi remains from the previous selection, but I just wanted to mention that I really liked the cucumber cold dish as it is seasoned with a lot of garlic! (I'm a huge fan of garlic). Also the pickled white radish and carrots were pickled to my liking: neither too sour nor too sweet =).

No comments:

Post a Comment